Home » The Guardian » OFF THE TRACKS

OFF THE TRACKS

SWAN Hill commuters will be the first to be hit by industrial action from V/Line staff, with a 24-hour stoppage on all train services next Wednesday.

The industrial action, announced late last week by the Rail, Tram and Bus Union (RTBU), will see V/Line employees stop work on various lines during nine days in summer.

Strikes will vary from six minutes to all-day cancellation of services, with overtime bans also in place, and will be held in response to an ongoing pay dispute.

Up to 600 V/Line drivers, station staff and train controllers are expected to take part in an effort to pursue a six per cent pay rise over three years.

The regional rail operator, which is owned by the state government, is understood to be pushing a two per cent pay rise.

Negotiations have been ongoing since the start of the year.

The action is set to start on December 11, with no train services to run on the Swan Hill and Bendigo lines on that day, with action coming to an end on December 20.

V/Line chief executive officer James Pinder said efforts to organise replacement services were underway.

“We are in the process of working on a coach-replacement service plan for each line on the days of protected industrial action over the coming weeks,” Mr Pinder said.

“We want to give passengers as much notice as possible so we will communicate the changes to services as soon as we can through the V/Line website, app and social media.

“The union’s decision to disrupt tens of thousands of passengers in the lead up to the holiday season is extremely disappointing and certainly something V/Line wanted to avoid.

“We’re calling on the RTBU to come back to the negotiating table to progress these discussions in good faith so together we can work on a way forward.”

Member for Murray Plains Peter Walsh said the strike was a result of the government’s “industrial chaos”, and regional passengers were now “wearing the cost” of the ongoing pay dispute with the union.

“Country people already have no confidence the trains will run on time, but that’s set to get worse over Christmas and force delays that will mean we’ll spend less time with family and friends,” Mr Walsh said.

“The cancellations come as a new timetable comes into effect this month that will see more than 270 VLine services permanently slowed down, instead of fixing the trains.”

A spokesperson from Minister for Public Transport Melissa Horne’s office said negotiations were expected to continue “in good faith”.

“There is still time for the RTBU and V/Line to resolve this without impacting regional Victorians who rely on these services to get them where they need to go,” the spokesperson said.

The spokesperson also hit out at the suggestion the new timetable would slow services in favour of maintaining them.

“The facts are we’ve never had as many trains on the network as we do now, and we continue to roll out even more services to get Victorians where they need to go,” the spokesperson said.

“We invested an extra $41 million last financial year for V/Line operations – allowing it to continue running a record number of train and coach services across Victoria.”

Breakout:

Scheduled strikes:

No train services on the Bendigo and Swan Hill lines all day on Wednesday, December 11

No train services on the Ararat, Maryborough and Ballarat lines all day on Thursday, December 12

Six-minute stop work beginning at the departure time of each service from Southern Cross Station on December 16.

No train services on the Traralgon and Bairnsdale lines all day on Tuesday, December 17

No train services on the Albury, Shepparton and Seymour lines all day on Wednesday, December 18

No train services on the Warrnambool and Geelong lines all day on Thursday, December 19

Digital Editions


  • Swans press finals claims

    Swans press finals claims

    MOULAMEIN has kept itself within touching distance of the top eight after a comprehensive 60-point victory over Balranald on the weekend. Despite trailing at quarter-time,…

More News

  • Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    TOOLEYBUC-Manangatang has recorded a gritty five-goal win over an understrength Kerang outfit on Saturday, with the visitors overcoming the loss of star goal shooter Zoe Morris to injury. The Saints…

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…