Home » Community » Wycheproof’s Bakery on Broadway to be back in business soon

Wycheproof’s Bakery on Broadway to be back in business soon

WYCHEPROOF’S Bakery on Broadway will rise again after a COVID-19 scare.

Staff, customers and townspeople were sent into 14 days’ isolation on Sunday night after a Mildura man who tested positive to COVID-19 visited the store on July 11.

The Department of Health and Human Services listed the bakery as a tier 1 exposure site between 2pm and 3pm on July 11, but this was downgraded two days later to tier 2, meaning anyone exposed was required to get tested immediately and self-isolate until receiving a negative result.

The Mildura man tested positive on July 18, a week after contracting the Delta variant of the disease at the MCG.

“It was Sunday and we were watching Ali Cupper on Facebook (speaking about the positive case in Mildura) and went to get washing outside,” bakery co-owner Ann Durie said.

“Then I received a call from Buloke Shire’s chief executive late Sunday night notifying us of the exposure.”

Ms Durie said as much as the call came as shock, many staff had expected it.

“We knew that a positive case had gone from Melbourne to Mildura,” she said.

“We were thinking that he might have stopped by.”

Ms Durie said the bakery had remained closed since July 15.

“We were feeling a bit anxious at the time,” she said.

“Then we saw it on Facebook and everyone was texting, sending messages to us.”

At least 24 customers were at the bakery when the man visited.

None of the five staff working at the time felt sick and all returned negative tests.

Ms Durie said there was relief when the bakery was downgraded to a tier 2 site.

“It meant we could get tested, get a negative result, then get back into the community,” she said.

“When we get the COVID clean done, we can open the shop.

“If it was tier 1, it could have costed up to $10,000 to do the clean as we would have needed to follow strict protocols.”

Ms Durie said all team members spent Monday self-isolating and being tested.

East Wimmera Health Service set up a drive-through testing site at its Wycheproof campus for three days to meet demand in the town and from Sea Lake and Ouyen.

Ms Durie believes the Mildura outbreak could be a wake-up call for many regional Victorians.

“It’s taught those who are complacent to really think about what they do with their businesses,” Ms Durie said.

“I had a call from the doctor, who said numbers were dropping off at the COVID vaccine clinic, but since the scare for the town the clinic has been very busy.

“In one sense, it’s been a good thing, but not great for people who suffer anxiety.

“It’s made everyone aware of how vulnerable small towns are, especially for us being the halfway stop for Melbourne- to-Mildura people.

“We are open seven days a week and it’s a natural stop with delicious food and coffee.”

Ms Durie said staff weren’t afraid to tell customers to wear a mask.

“We have a strict mask-wearing policy and, if a customer doesn’t have one, we send them back to their cars to get one.

“It’s a pain but it’s important and we have the QR codes and sign-ins.

“With a small town like this, if someone does test positive, it would go through the town very easily, especially when you have an older population.”

Ms Durie said the business had been flooded with kind and positive messages.

“We have had amazing support from the local community and people who come to our bakery regularly,” she said.

“People have been so supportive and they understand what the business has done for the town and there have just been some lovely messages to all the staff and it’s very lovely and feels really good.

“We’ve had people dropping off food to staff members, alcohol and wood.”

Ms Durie was touched by the generosity of one Bendigo supplier.

“Bendigo Brittle sent an email to say sorry to hear we were a tier 1 site,” she said.

“Before the news of us, I just got an order in for $1000 worth of supplies.

“They were happy to send the money back to us until we were able to get back on our feet — it was so generous.”

Ms Durie has co-owned the bakery with four couples for the past five years.

Digital Editions


  • Magpies fly to second win

    Magpies fly to second win

    A DETERMINED Lake Boga has kept their finals hopes alive with a hard-fought 16-goal win over a disappointing Nyah-Nyah West United on the weekend. The…

More News

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…

  • Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    YEARS after leaving active service, Wayne Hale is once again preparing to represent the Green and Gold after being selected to compete in the Invictus Germany Sports Festival next month.…