Home » Community » Victorian permit change gives hope to stranded traveller

Victorian permit change gives hope to stranded traveller

AFTER being stuck in Moulamein for several weeks, Heathcote resident David Rourke could get the reprieve he needs to return home.

As restrictions ease in regional Victoria, Premier Daniel Andrews said at the weekend the government was working on getting Victorians stuck on the border home.

Mr Rourke and his two dogs have been staying in his caravan at Moulamein Lakeside Caravan Park.

During his time there, he has had several applications for compassionate permits knocked back and multiple COVID-19 tests.

Mr Rourke said he hoped he was in a strong position to return home.

“I’m in with a good chance, as I’ve been here for six weeks, I’m fully vaccinated and I’ve been in an isolated area,” he told The Guardian.

“Everybody needs to be home – you’ve got a right to be home.”

Mr Rourke, 70, travelled to Grassy Head, near Coffs Harbour, to visit a friend, leaving Scots Head on the NSW mid-north coast of NSW on July 20.

He aimed to return to Heathcote for his second dose of AstraZeneca vaccine, booked for August 3.

But the Victorian border had closed on July 11, leaving Mr Rourke only 13 hours to return to Victoria.

Mr Rourke said he had been happy to quarantine at home if he had been allowed back to his home state.

“I live on my own and I was going to be quarantining at home and my partner was going to drop food off for me,” he said.

“That was planned all along. I bought paint, I was going to paint at home.

“I have protected myself and the community by getting vaccinated (in NSW).”

Mr Rourke said the Victorian Government’s refusal to allow residents to return while COVID-19 spread across NSW was bureaucratic.

“They’ve forgotten about us,” he said.

“We are the public, we are people and it’s our home. We’ve lived there our whole damn lives.

“If I wasn’t stuck in here in Moulamein, I’d be as happy as Larry to be in Moulamein.”

He said the delays had “consumed my life since I left Grassy Head”.

As part of National Cabinet’s work, states including Victoria have agreed with the Commonwealth to start trials of home-based quarantine.

The first of these pilots will support about 200 Victorian residents who have been stuck on the NSW side of the border to return home.

Mr Andrews said Victorians who had stayed in a NSW border area for at least the 14 days from August 25 to September 8 could apply for a new permit exemption category.

Applications for exemptions opened at noon on September 10 and will close at 6pm on Friday.

Victorians applying for this exemption will need to provide proof of their primary residence in Victoria, evidence of a negative COVID-19 test result 48 hours before their arrival in Victoria and evidence of having at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.

Applicants will also be required to provide evidence they have stayed in the border region and maintained minimal social contact while in NSW.

Victorians will be able to apply for the repatriation exemption at the Service Victoria website, www.service.vic.gov.au, and applications will be assessed within 72 hours.

Successful applicants will be required to drive directly to their home in Victoria, stopping only for a further test, and then isolate at home for 14 days.

Member for Murray Plains Peter Walsh said he was “gobsmacked” the Premier had made vaccination a condition for Victorians to return.

“With hundreds, possibly thousands, of Victorian citizens stranded in southern NSW for weeks because Daniel Andrews said so, a blanket order that ignored double vaccinations; ignored repeated negative tests; ignored pleas for the unwell to access help; in fact, ignored everyone and everything,” Mr Walsh said.

Digital Editions


  • Magpies fly to second win

    Magpies fly to second win

    A DETERMINED Lake Boga has kept their finals hopes alive with a hard-fought 16-goal win over a disappointing Nyah-Nyah West United on the weekend. The…

More News

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…

  • Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    YEARS after leaving active service, Wayne Hale is once again preparing to represent the Green and Gold after being selected to compete in the Invictus Germany Sports Festival next month.…