Home » Farming and Environment » Bee crisis ‘extremely serious’ for Select Harvests

Bee crisis ‘extremely serious’ for Select Harvests

LEADING almond producer Select Harvests, which has orchards in the Mallee, the South Australian Riverland and Riverina in New South Wales, says the detection of a parasitic mite that attacks and feeds on European honeybees is an “extremely serious issue” for the company and Australia’s food security.

Detection of the mite has now prohibited the movement of bees from NSW into Victoria as a prevention and control method, with almost half of Select Harvests’ pollination services potentially disrupted.

Almost 30 per cent of the company’s orchards are in NSW and are impacted by the control order, while a further 11 per cent are dependent on hives located in NSW.

Almond orchards are 100 per cent dependent on European bee pollination services to produce a commercial crop with pollination occurring during blossom, in the last three weeks of August.

The varroa mite was detected in a sentinel hive at the Port of Newcastle last week.

The NSW Department of Primary Industry and other state government departments have been working to eradicate and prevent the further spread of the mite, with the co-operation of industry bodies including the Almond Board of Australia.

All beehives in NSW have been placed on a standstill and are unable to be moved or opened without authorisation.

The Federal and state governments, in consultation with the key industry bodies, are reviewing the establishment of a certification system similar to the COVID pandemic process, allowing bees to freely move between Queensland, Victoria and South Australia in order to allow apiarists to provide pollination services to agricultural crops.

Select Harvests said it was hoped this would extend to unaffected regions of NSW once the standstill order was lifted and has started mitigation strategies to support the 2023 crop pollination.

These include sourcing additional hives within state borders, reallocating hives to avoid interstate movements and reviewing hive density requirements by orchard.

Managing director Paul Thompson said that while the situation was concerning, he had “every confidence” that the national eradication program would contain the incursion and pollination services would be provided from NSW hives.

“Clearly this is an extremely serious issue for Select Harvests and Australia’s food security,” Mr Thompson said.

“Both the government and industry understand the need to support pollination services as they did during COVID.

“In the event the incursion does not get contained, it will impact Select’s 2023 crop pollination.”

Victorian deputy chief plant health officer Stephen Dibley said there had been no detections of varroa mite in Victoria, and the restrictions were in place to prevent that from happening.

Dr Dibley urged beekeepers to inspect their hives regularly for signs of varroa mite and other exotic pests, and take appropriate measures.

Digital Editions


  • Swans press finals claims

    Swans press finals claims

    MOULAMEIN has kept itself within touching distance of the top eight after a comprehensive 60-point victory over Balranald on the weekend. Despite trailing at quarter-time,…

More News

  • Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    TOOLEYBUC-Manangatang has recorded a gritty five-goal win over an understrength Kerang outfit on Saturday, with the visitors overcoming the loss of star goal shooter Zoe Morris to injury. The Saints…

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…