Home » Farming and Environment » Government gathers drought support

Government gathers drought support

THE Federal Government has promised an extra $2 million to boost the Rural Financial Counselling Service in the face of the drought across southern Australia.

However, Member for Mildura Anne Webster is demanding Canberra revive interest-free loans for farmers through the Regional Investment Corporation.

But only Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan has managed to create a bipartisan strategy to tackle the drought which is crippling a growing slice of the state.

Her drought response taskforce will be in Western Victoria on Friday meeting with industry leaders to begin mapping a pathway to recovery.

The Premier’s taskforce includes several government ministers, senior Nationals MP Peter Walsh, Victorian Farmers Federation president Brett Hosking, council representatives, the Hamilton-based National Centre for Farmer Health, the CWA, banks and farm services agencies.

Ms Allan said her new and expanded drought package will be supported by an additional $37.7 million in funding to ensure farmers can access grants of up to $5000 to support on-farm drought management improvements, in addition to financial counselling and mental health support.

She said because of the ongoing impact of drought, these payments will be increased to $10,000 across the worst hit areas.

The program will also be expanded to cover water carting activities and pasture re-establishment, and Agriculture Victoria’s farm technical and decision-making support has also been made available statewide, supporting farmers to manage the impacts of these increasingly drier conditions.

At the same time, the Victorian Government has temporarily wound back its controversial emergency services levy for farmers, which has seen repeated mass protests in front of state parliament and across Victoria.

Dr Webster said farmers across Australia have been simultaneously devastated by drought and floods and said in 2020 the Coalition introduced a two-year interest free period for loans up to $2 million for farmers experiencing hardship during the drought, not just $2 million for financial counselling spread across the whole country.

“The zero per cent interest rate applied to new and existing drought loans, and to refinance existing debt from a farmer’s commercial bank,” Dr Webster added.

“It was a serious move to give farmers some breathing space, saving them cashflow and giving them time to restock and replant.

“Here was an initiative which stopped a lot of farms from going bankrupt. It is clear recent rain and drought events are really hurting farmers, which is why I am calling on Labor to revisit this RIC loan product.”

The Nationals leader and Deputy Opposition leader David Littleproud has also written to Agriculture Minister Julie Collins, requesting support for the thousands of farmers dealing with floods and drought.

Dr Webster said current assistance doesn’t go far enough and farmers would get much-needed support by having access to a $2 million loan with an initial two-year interest free period, then three years of interest only, and finally five years principal and interest.”

Federal Agriculture Minister Julie Collins said her government’s extra $2 million for the RFCS is in addition to the $800,000 committed last week for RFCS providers in Victoria and South Australia – the two worst drought-hit states.

She added the Federal Government will stage its national drought forum in SA this year as an acknowledgement of the impact drought is having on farmers and rural communities in southern Australia.

However, Ms Collins would not commit yet to reactivating large-scale, low interest, and interest deferred loans.

She said the RIC option has been raised with her and with the Federal Government but added she was still assessing whether anything on that scale would be possible.

“We will have a listen, we will go back and have a look at that, about whether or not it is possible,” Ms Collins said, referring to responses she made to South Australian media last week.

“I don’t want to rule anything in or out at this point; this is about actually listening, and listening carefully, to the impact of what supports are available and what additional support may be needed, and what we might need to do in terms of the existing support.

“So, I’m here to listen and I’m taking this incredibly seriously. We understand this is really impacting people. When I go out and I’m on farm and I listen to people, and I listen to their stories, I’m taking in what they’re saying to me.

“I’m talking to them about, you know, if we did this, if we did that. Obviously, the Federal Government can’t make it rain, but what we can do is support people through this difficult period.”

Digital Editions


  • Magpies fly to second win

    Magpies fly to second win

    A DETERMINED Lake Boga has kept their finals hopes alive with a hard-fought 16-goal win over a disappointing Nyah-Nyah West United on the weekend. The…

More News

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…

  • Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    YEARS after leaving active service, Wayne Hale is once again preparing to represent the Green and Gold after being selected to compete in the Invictus Germany Sports Festival next month.…