Home » Health » Pop-up mental health help for regional Victoria

Pop-up mental health help for regional Victoria

EIGHT pop-up community mental health services will appear across regional Victoria to help people struggling with the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

Mental Health Minister James Merlino said the new package would establish 20 accessible services to support the mental health and wellbeing of thousands of Victorians.

“On top of the $225 million the State Government has already provided to support Victorians’ mental health throughout the pandemic, a further investment of $22 million will deliver fast-tracked, tailored care to those who need it, reducing the burden on emergency departments as the number of coronavirus patients grows,” Mr Merlino said.

More than 90 dedicated clinicians would manage the pop-up services, he said.

The pop-up centres, to be delivered by community health providers, will open progressively from the end of this mo, with a dedicated triage and referral hotline and website to be established in the coming days so people could start booking appointments.

Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people would also receive additional support with $4 million for Aboriginal community-controlled health organisations and the Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency to self-determine the best, most culturally appropriate response to the mental health and wellbeing needs of local communities.

An investment of $1 million will also expand the Triple P parenting programs, supporting more than 20,000 Victorian families whose children are experiencing anxiety, while $1.2 million will boost the capacity of peak LGBTIQ+ community organisations including Switchboard, Thorne Harbour Health and Drummond Street Family Services.

“We’re not wasting a moment delivering the huge reforms the royal commission recommended for our state’s mental health services, but we know the pandemic has increased immediate demand, so we’re investing to make sure more Victorians have access to the support they need right now,” Mr Merlino said.

Shadow Minister for Mental Health Emma Kealy said the announcement didn’t go far enough to address the state’s “shadow pandemic”.

She said calls to Kids Helpline and Beyond Blue had dramatically increased since 2019 and there had been a surge in the number of mental health emergencies among young people through the pandemic.

“Without delivering additional mental health workers, all the government has done is demand that an under-resourced workforce works even harder,” Ms Kealy said.

“The priority should be fixing gaps in Victoria’s fatigued mental health workforce, which could be done by supporting the Liberal-Nationals’ commonsense plan to unlock 4000 extra workers.”


Suicides down, says report

FEWER Victorians have taken their own lives this year compared to last, Coroners Court data has revealed.

A report released on Tuesday found there were 439 suicides in Victoria up to August 31 this year, compared to 493 over the same period last year.

Numbers of suicides fell or remained steady in all age groups and genders except among girls under 18 – eight this year compared to just two in 2020.

The report cautioned that suicide rates could vary substantially from year to year and care needed to be taken in drawing conclusions from the data.

Anyone requiring urgent help can call Lifeline’s 24-hour number, 131 114. For crisis support, call Beyond Blue, 1300 224 636, headspace, 1800 650 890, or Kids Helpline, 1800 551 800.

Digital Editions


  • Magpies fly to second win

    Magpies fly to second win

    A DETERMINED Lake Boga has kept their finals hopes alive with a hard-fought 16-goal win over a disappointing Nyah-Nyah West United on the weekend. The…

More News

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…

  • Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    YEARS after leaving active service, Wayne Hale is once again preparing to represent the Green and Gold after being selected to compete in the Invictus Germany Sports Festival next month.…