Home » Health » Slowing the spread

Slowing the spread

COVID case numbers continued to surge as the Victorian Government introduced new restrictions to slow the spread of Omicron across Victoria.

Swan Hill reported 16 new cases yesterday, taking its active total to 57.

Across Victoria, 21,997 cases and 631 hospitalisations. Fifty-one people in the state were in ICU, and there were six deaths.

In response to rising numbers in Victoria and waiting times to be tested, the State Government announced new rules regarding COVID testing yesterday.

Under the new pandemic orders, effective from today, people who test positive on a rapid antigen test (RAT) will be considered “probable cases” and not need to be followed by a PCR test.

However, it will be mandatory to report a positive RAT to the Department of Health through an online form or by phone.

The online reporting system will go live on January 7 and will include a symptom check for triage care.

A PCR test continues to be recommended for people who test positive on a RAT but don’t have symptoms and who aren’t contacts.

In further restrictions, Victorians aged eight and over must wear face masks in all indoor settings, including schools (excluding schools).

A new density quotient of one person per two square metres has also been introduced for indoor areas at hospitality and entertainment venues.

The government strongly recommended that the community undertake a RAT prior to visiting aged care facilities or hospitals.

It also issued a “strong recommendation” to work from home and study from home for adult education, and to do so until Australia Day.

Alongside the restrictions which the government hopes will slow down super-spreader events in public venues, the State Government announced that non-urgent elective surgery would temporarily be reduced in metropolitan and regional cities.

All emergency surgery and urgent elective surgery will continue.

Swan Hill District Health acting chief executive officer Kim Bennetts said attempting to reduce the spread of COVID was key, that would assist in reducing the pressure put on the healthcare services and its critical workforce.

“Our emergency department is currently experiencing very high demand at the moment and we are seeing people presenting with COVID symptoms,” she said.”To ensure the sickest patients can receive the care they need, we are asking the community to only present to ED if it is an emergency.”

It comes as health experts advised locals to be prepared to test positive as Omicron’s bushfire-like spread was expected to move through the community over the next two months.

And with hospitalisation numbers rising across Victoria, the key to avoiding further restrictions would be slowing down the rate of transmission by following COVID-safe behaviour.

That was the message from Wednesday night’s online COVID-19 community forum, shared via Mildura Rural City Council’s Facebook page, which discussed the current COVID outbreak across the country.

Speaking at the forum, Victoria’s COVID-19 Commander Jerome Weimar said the current Omicron outbreak would be a “bushfire-type experience”.

“We’re expecting those case numbers to continue to rise all of January, all the way into the back end of February,” Mr Weimar said.

He said there was likely to be an underreporting of cases as people struggled to access PCR testing, with the real number of actives cases “likely” to be around 100,000.

Mr Weimar told the online forum that testing positive via a rapid test would still provide access to triage and clinical support, along with access to Commonwealth pandemic payments.

And although lockdowns had been used to prevent the incursion of covid, Mr Weimar said avoiding further lockdowns would depend on the ability to suppress the current outbreak by other means.

“If we’re not going to use lockdown, then comes down to all of us individually, doing the right things and doing what we can to minimize and slow down that rate of transmission.

“If we can start to see those hospitalization numbers start to come down … that’s up about 200 in the space of eight or nine days. If those numbers don’t start to taper off, then we will have real problems and real pressures in our healthcare system.”

As the risk was high in the community, Mr Weimar said it was best to be mindful of potential exposure when going about day-to-day activities.

“In our normal day to day encounters, in the bakery, the supermarket and at the pub, we are likely to be socializing and around people who may have COVID and may not be aware of that.”

Digital Editions


  • Swans press finals claims

    Swans press finals claims

    MOULAMEIN has kept itself within touching distance of the top eight after a comprehensive 60-point victory over Balranald on the weekend. Despite trailing at quarter-time,…

More News

  • Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    TOOLEYBUC-Manangatang has recorded a gritty five-goal win over an understrength Kerang outfit on Saturday, with the visitors overcoming the loss of star goal shooter Zoe Morris to injury. The Saints…

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…