Home » Horse Racing » Balranald races cancelled in devastating blow

Balranald races cancelled in devastating blow

INSTEAD of the laughter and fun of the country races at Balranald over the weekend, the racecourse remained quiet and empty.

Track issues and subsequent OH&S concerns meant the Balranald races, the first scheduled in the town since COVID, were cancelled with little notice.

“It was devastating, it would have had a devastating effect on a lot of people,” Balranald Racing Club President Tony Conway said.

On February 9, a steward from Racing NSW came and inspected the Balranald track and had some worries about sparsely grass areas on the track.

At the time, Mr Conway wasn’t too concerned, as they had just had a fair amount of rain and the committee was aware that a little bit of maintenance would be required to get the track race ready.

Then on March 9, a month later, another steward came to inspect the track, unbeknownst to either the Balranald Shire Council or the Racing Club, according to Mr Conway. The steward made a recommendation that he thought the track was still unsafe, just 10 days prior to the race meet, effectively barring the it from going ahead.

“Without being silly, we probably could have built a new race track in 10 days with the amount of equipment and expertise available around the area,” Mr Conway said.

“That’s probably the most galling point of the whole lot, that he never had a conversation with anyone about it.”

Mr Conway said the club had already purchased all the alcohol for the event, bought $2,500 worth of food, and had already committed to and started the advertising campaign which was about $3000.

“All that hard work, which was voluntary work that was done by committee and community members to get things in preparation,” Mr Conway said.

“We haven’t raced for nearly three years, and we were going to make it a free race meeting to everyone to come along free of charge to try and come back for a major community event,” he said.

“A lot of people were really looking forward to it, there was no consideration given to that.”

Despite the disappointment in the situation, Mr Conway said the safety of horses and jockeys always came first.

“I fully understand, no one is more aware of the fact that the safety of jockeys and the horses is paramount, we would never want to have a race meeting if we thought there would be a chance of anyone getting injured, a person or an animal, that’s at the forefront of our mind,” he said.

“We thought that we had the track in a safe condition to race on.”

Mr Conway said that with the football and netball season now starting to get underway, rescheduling the race meet was not really an option.

“Everyone understands that in country communities, footy and netball takes precedence over everything and that’s just the way it is,” he said.

“It’s a meeting that’s lost now.”

The next race meet in Balranald is scheduled for October.

“We’re hoping now that in October, Cox Plate Day, we can come back bigger and better than ever,” Mr Conway said.

Digital Editions


  • Swans press finals claims

    Swans press finals claims

    MOULAMEIN has kept itself within touching distance of the top eight after a comprehensive 60-point victory over Balranald on the weekend. Despite trailing at quarter-time,…

More News

  • Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    TOOLEYBUC-Manangatang has recorded a gritty five-goal win over an understrength Kerang outfit on Saturday, with the visitors overcoming the loss of star goal shooter Zoe Morris to injury. The Saints…

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…