Home » Police and Courts » Police issue safety warnings after Sea Lake caravan fatality

Police issue safety warnings after Sea Lake caravan fatality

A MAN is dead and a woman in hospital after a four-wheel-drive towing a caravan lost control and rolled in Sea Lake on Saturday.

Emergency services were called to the Calder Highway, 6kn north of Sea Lake, after reports a 4WD towing a caravan had lost control and rolled about 1.30pm.

A 67-year-old male passenger in the vehicle, who is yet to be formally identified, died at the scene.

The 64-year-old female driver was airlifted to Bendigo Health in a stable condition with serious head injuries.

The highway was closed for a significant time as Collision Investigation Unit detectives travelled from Melbourne to investigate.

Swan Hill highway patrol Sergeant Les McPhee said it was unclear what caused the caravan to swerve and roll on the straight section of highway.

“It’s a timely reminder to be aware of your surroundings, especially during the school holidays with more people out of lockdown and back on the roads,” Sgt McPhee said.

“If you’re travelling long distances, make sure you plan your trip, make sure you take breaks, and be aware of gravel shoulders.”

Sgt McPhee said early morning heavy fog in recent days also quickly changed the condition of roads.

“And just because the highway is signposted at 100km/h, you don’t need to travel at that speed. Drive to the conditions,” he said.

Sgt McPhee said it was important to learn how to tow a caravan.

“We aren’t saying in this situation the driver didn’t know how to tow a caravan, but it’s a timely reminder because it’s a completely different scenario when towing something,” he said.

“Get some instructions prior to your first trip. Speak to family and friends who have a caravan and maybe start with small trips.

“Learn how the vehicle reacts differently on the roads when you have all that weight behind you.

“This tragedy just demonstrates how easily it can happen when you lose control.”

It’s the third fatal crash in Sea Lake in seven months.

It brought the road toll for the year to 111, six fewer than the same time last year.

Anyone who witnessed the crash, has dashcam footage or any other information that could assist police, is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Digital Editions


  • Magpies fly to second win

    Magpies fly to second win

    A DETERMINED Lake Boga has kept their finals hopes alive with a hard-fought 16-goal win over a disappointing Nyah-Nyah West United on the weekend. The…

More News

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…

  • Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    YEARS after leaving active service, Wayne Hale is once again preparing to represent the Green and Gold after being selected to compete in the Invictus Germany Sports Festival next month.…