Home » Police and Courts » Robinvale man faces assault and threats charges

Robinvale man faces assault and threats charges

THE man acquitted of murdering Mildura toddler Nikki Francis-Coslovich in 2015 has been charged with making threats to kill and numerous assaults.

Police allege that in one of the assaults, in February this year, 37-year-old John Torney choked the victim to the point of unconsciousness “that may have placed a person … (in) danger of death”.

Torney appeared briefly in Mildura Magistrates’ Court this week, when a committal hearing date was set on 20 of the 25 charges laid against him.

All the alleged offences relate to four separate occasions this year.

It is alleged that at Robinvale on January 30, Torney made a threat to kill, made a threat to inflict serious injury and made a threat to destroy property. He was also charged with assault and unlawful assault.

Following an alleged incident on February 13, also at Robinvale, Torney was charged with engaging in conduct – namely choking the victim to lose consciousness – that may have placed a person in danger of death, intentionally causing injury and recklessly causing injury. He was also charged with assault and unlawful assault.

He was also charged with assault in relation to an alleged incident the following day.

Police also charged Torney with making a threat to kill, damaging property, assault with a weapon, assault, unlawful assault and unlawful assault in aggravating circumstances following an alleged incident on March 13.

Following a Supreme Court trial in 2016, Torney was found not guilty of both murder and the alternative charge of manslaughter following the discovery of two-year-old Nikki in the roof cavity of her Oram Court home in August the previous year.

Torney admitted to hiding her body in the roof, but said it was her mother, his ex-partner Peta-Ann Francis, who killed her.

A pathologist told the trial Nikki had been bashed to death and suffered horrific internal injuries.

Torney, who appeared in court by video link from custody this week, will face a one-day committal hearing on the bulk of the more recent charges on September 20. A further committal mention will be held on August 31 with regard to five further charges.

He did not make an application for bail.

Digital Editions


  • Swans press finals claims

    Swans press finals claims

    MOULAMEIN has kept itself within touching distance of the top eight after a comprehensive 60-point victory over Balranald on the weekend. Despite trailing at quarter-time,…

More News

  • Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    TOOLEYBUC-Manangatang has recorded a gritty five-goal win over an understrength Kerang outfit on Saturday, with the visitors overcoming the loss of star goal shooter Zoe Morris to injury. The Saints…

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…