Home » Police and Courts » Boy killed in holiday tragedy

Boy killed in holiday tragedy

THE Boort district is wrapping its arms around the family of a three-year-old boy killed in a caravan fire last Thursday night.

Emergency services were called to Lake View Street shortly before 6pm on January 2 after reports a caravan had caught fire.

Fire crews extinguished the blaze and a deceased child, from the Greater Bendigo area, was found inside.

The child’s aunty, Jess Sargeant, posted on social media to announce a GoFundMe had been launched to help support the parents.

“My brother Ben Keeble and his beautiful wife, Lori Keeble (nee Stringer), have had to go through something no parent should ever have to endure and have had to say goodbye to their beautiful little boy,” she said.

“We have organised and are sharing this GoFundMe as a way to help them out in the near future.

“As they grapple with the reality of their loss, and move forward with everyday life – to help out with funeral expenses and anything that may be needed.”

The GoFundMe had already raised more than $30,000 by Monday.

A major arson squad investigation was under way, and arson chemists and detectives spent much of Friday at the scene.

“At this stage the fire has been deemed nonsuspicious, and enquiries remain ongoing,” a police spokesperson said.

“Officers are aware of the impact that such a tragic incident has on family, community members and first responders and will ensure that welfare services are in place.”

Boort District Health chief executive Donna Doyle, speaking on behalf of the boy’s family, said they were “totally devastated”.

“It’s just an unimaginable tragedy and the family are totally devastated and wrapping each other in love and support at this time,” she told reporters in Boort on Friday.

“They’ve just had Christmas and new year and wonderful, amazing experiences with their families and friends and memories to cherish forever now.

“We just wish that tragedies like this never had to happen to anyone, and never had to happen to anyone that we know and love.

“Moving on from this is going to be incredibly difficult for everyone involved.”

The local supermarket put together food packages and the caravan park supplied accommodation.

Ms Doyle said the local hospital was offering support for those impacted, including first responders.

“Our emergency services people are incredible, and to volunteer for fire or ambulance, or to work for the police or SES in a community like Boort, it comes with an understanding that you know you’re going to likely be heading to somewhere that is familiar to you and someone that you know somehow,” she said.

“They’ve all walked away last night incredibly torn about what’s happened.”

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has information is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or www.crimestoppersvic.com.au.

Digital Editions


  • Swans press finals claims

    Swans press finals claims

    MOULAMEIN has kept itself within touching distance of the top eight after a comprehensive 60-point victory over Balranald on the weekend. Despite trailing at quarter-time,…

More News

  • Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    Saints rise over injury hit Blues

    TOOLEYBUC-Manangatang has recorded a gritty five-goal win over an understrength Kerang outfit on Saturday, with the visitors overcoming the loss of star goal shooter Zoe Morris to injury. The Saints…

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…