Home » politics » Independent reflects on campaign

Independent reflects on campaign

LONG-standing MP Sussan Ley’s fiercest opponent in the Farrer electorate says she’s open to standing again in 2028.

Independent candidate Michelle Milthorpe said the campaign was “never about politics-as-usual”.

“We were a novice team, made up of locals who simply care about our community,” she said.

“We stayed positive, stayed focused, and always led with respect.”

With 96.66 per cent of the ballot papers counted so far, Mrs Milthorpe has received 44.22 per cent of the two-candidate-preferred count.

Mrs Milthorpe said the campaign faced challenges, including the “spread of misinformation and being denied the opportunity to correct the record”.

“We ran against a small group who continually circulated misleading claims, particularly around funding,” she said.

“I was fully transparent from the beginning about receiving a donation from Climate 200, and never misrepresented that fact.

“What’s disappointing is that the same level of scrutiny isn’t applied to major parties and their funding arrangements.”

Mrs Milthorpe expressed issue with being incorrectly labelled throughout the campaign.

“I ran as an independent, and to repeatedly be referred to in other ways was not only misleading – it was dishonest and insulting,” she said.

“It undermined the intelligence of voters and the integrity of the many hardworking people who supported this campaign.”

Mrs Milthorpe also shared her hope that future vote counts might better reflect the nature of the contest, after Saturday night’s count proceeded using a two-party-preferred method, despite earlier advice that it would follow a two-candidate-preferred approach.

“It meant that the live results didn’t give a clear picture of the actual contest,” she said.

“I’d like to see more consistency and clarity around how independent candidates are represented in the count – it helps voters better understand what’s really happening.”

Mrs Milthorpe was hopeful that Farrer would no longer be considered a safe seat, saying that increased competitiveness was essential to securing fairer representation.

While no firm decision has been made yet, Mrs Milthorpe was open to standing again.

“This campaign might be over, but I’m not going anywhere,” she warned.

“I’ll take some time to reflect, but I will always stand up for Farrer.”

Digital Editions


  • Magpies fly to second win

    Magpies fly to second win

    A DETERMINED Lake Boga has kept their finals hopes alive with a hard-fought 16-goal win over a disappointing Nyah-Nyah West United on the weekend. The…

More News

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…

  • Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    YEARS after leaving active service, Wayne Hale is once again preparing to represent the Green and Gold after being selected to compete in the Invictus Germany Sports Festival next month.…