Home » Business » Tourism campaign not worth it, says caravan park owner

Tourism campaign not worth it, says caravan park owner

A CAMPAIGN to promote the Murray River region to the Melbourne media would not benefit the shire, says a Moulamein business owner.

The Murray River Council (MRC) held a meeting on July 16, to discuss how to support border region businesses impacted by the border closures between New South Wales and Victoria.

Moulamein Lakeside Caravan Park co-owner and manager Joe Peeters said he wasn’t sure how much benefit the $100,000 campaign to Melbourne media would be.

“I can’t see them (MRC) being able to convince the powers to be to change the zone to a green zone because of how much of the infection (from the Sydney outbreak) has filtered through to the rural areas,” Mr Peeters said.

At the council meeting, Greater Murray Ward councillor Thomas Weyrich said the council had to act “swiftly” suggesting that a full page ad be published in the Herald Sun or The Age newspapers in Melbourne.

He said it should outline the region’s plight, ask the Victorian premier why they’re not a green zone and the reasoning behind it, and to say there has never been a case of Covid in the MRC region.

Mr Peeters said he agreed.

“Moulamein hasn’t had a single case. Why we’re considered a red zone is a bit of a mystery,” Mr Peeters said.

“I can understand why it’s been done so by the Victorian government.

“The Delta variant is too virulent/rampant to play with.”

Mr Peeters said it seemed like not a lot was achieved with the meeting.

“I think there could have been more done, so far as for council assisting the businesses in the bubble,” he said.

“All we’ve been given so far since the beginning of 2020 one $1500 rebate.

“I pay $7000 in rates alone, so $1500 is nothing.”

On July 13 NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Treasurer Dominic Perrottet jointly announced an economic support package worth billions of dollars aimed at helping businesses and people right across the state fight through the current COVID-19 lockdown.

The commitment from the state government has increased to $5.1 billion, including more than $1b from the Commonwealth as part of a business and employee support program.

One part of that package was the extension of the previously announced business grants program, where eligible businesses with Australian wages below $10 million can claim grants between $7,500 and $15,000 to cover the first three-weeks of restrictions, and takes the potential size of the program to $2.1b.

But Mr Peeters said his business was not eligible.

“I’m not a micro business and so in regards to the larger $15,000 and 30 per cent reduction – I think it’s only eligible to people with staff,” he said.

“We (Joe and Sandy Peeters) as owners are not paid a wage, so I think that will make us fall between the cracks.

“There is no package available for me, at the time [of the first lockdowns] I used to be able to have JobKeeper.”

Mr Peeters said he is liaising with his accountant to see what financial assistance could be provided to the business.

Digital Editions


  • Magpies fly to second win

    Magpies fly to second win

    A DETERMINED Lake Boga has kept their finals hopes alive with a hard-fought 16-goal win over a disappointing Nyah-Nyah West United on the weekend. The…

More News

  • Blues stave off determined Saints

    Blues stave off determined Saints

    KERANG held their nerve against a dogged Tooleybuc-Manangatang side to come away from Riverside Park with an 18-point win in a tense mid-ladder clash. Eager to rejoin the winner’s list,…

  • Swan Hill to host week one finals

    Swan Hill to host week one finals

    THE Central Murray Football Netball League (CMFNL) has confirmed that the first week of their expanded top eight finals series will take place in Swan Hill in late August. With…

  • Swans lead the way

    Swans lead the way

    SWAN Hill’s women’s soccer team has continued its remarkable rise, with the Swans moving to the top of the ladder for the first time in years following a gritty 1-0…

  • MRI skills boost

    MRI skills boost

    WHILE awaiting the outcome of the funding for the new medical imaging service, Swan Hill District Health is continuing to strengthen its local diagnostic imaging capability. A staff member will…

  • Unbeaten run continues

    Unbeaten run continues

    FIVE wins from the first five games is certainly a great way to start the 2026 season for NNW United, as they look towards revenge and glory. This latest win…

  • Boost for childcare in border town

    Boost for childcare in border town

    A MAJOR funding boost for childcare in Robinvale has been welcomed by Swan Hill Rural City Council, with the Murray Valley Aboriginal Co-operative set to expand and redevelop its early…

  • Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    Council rejects industry rate relief plea

    BALRANALD Council has rejected a push for industry-wide rate relief for dried vine fruit growers impacted by extreme weather, instead urging State and Federal Governments to provide targeted disaster assistance…

  • Coalition fighting for relevance

    Coalition fighting for relevance

    THE Farrer by-election had shattered the myth of the “safe” rural seat, according to veteran political commentator Barrie Cassidy, who warned the Coalition was now fighting for relevance across regional…

  • Farley hits ground running

    Farley hits ground running

    ONE Nation’s newest MP wasted no time settling into federal politics, heading to Canberra last week to learn the ropes just days after his history-making victory in the Farrer by-election.…

  • Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    Local veteran earns Invictus call up

    YEARS after leaving active service, Wayne Hale is once again preparing to represent the Green and Gold after being selected to compete in the Invictus Germany Sports Festival next month.…